Never let the fear of failure, shadow your doing of your dream. You are your own person, never let anything or anyone tell you that you can't.. because YOU CAN. When life knocks you down, get right back up on your feet and try again. You can't fail unless you try to succeed.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

All We Need Is Each Other

Wow, what a day it has been. From digging up toys in the mud and flipping sides of houses, to being fed an awesome meal and looking fancy... my day has been full of life lessons and humbling experiences. A week and half ago, Vilonia was hit by a huge tornado. It was so bad that it made Good Morning America, as well as the local news. When I saw the news stories, and pictures posted on the Internet as well as friends facebook status' who lived there... my heart broke. I knew immediately what I had to do. I called a school sponsor, and said listen.. we need to help them. Some way, some how. Lets go. So after different ideas, and speaking to the mayor of Vilonia, they needed labor workers. We got together about 30 students, including football & basketball players and just great people in general, and headed to Vilonia at 6:00A.M.

With a late night with my family, I was extremely tired... but my brain woke up the minute my alarm went off. The first thing I thought about were the people I was about to encounter and the things that my day was going to consist of. After loading the bus, and a long two and half hour drive.. we arrived to Vilonia. My eyes couldn't believe the things I was seeing, and my heart dropped as people were outside of their homes cleaning up the debris and looking at our bus hopeless. All eyes glued on our bus as if they we're saying stop here. We need your help. The further we went down the main road, the more we saw trees smashed in the middle of houses, to piles of wood and house stacked up, and signs just completely blown away. Having played basketball there, I knew that the town didn't look anything like it did before. The change was horrific. Yes I had seen pictures on the news, and Internet.. but its nothing like it in person. Its reality. People are seriously affected, and lives completley changed and destroyed.

We checked in at the high school, and were assigned our neighborhood. The trip to our area was interesting. We past by some of the nicest houses I've ever seen. Gates and pass codes to enter the driveways, and perfect mowed lawns.. with white columns in front. These houses made it look like NOTHING had happened at all. Then we took a left turn and down into this valley.... and there all our jaws began to drop. Debris everywhere. Nothing. Trees snapped in half, and chickens walking around.. horses tied to a barn post that had survived...and people begging for help. The only pleasant thing that looked beautiful was the pond that was in the center of the valley. All of these people who lived in this valley are people who own lots of land, and live in trailers. They are people that didn't have anywhere to go for the most part, and luckily most were able to find places to hide and be injured very little.

The first place we stopped at was a lady in her 40's. She had lived in this trailer for the past 10 years, the land she owned has been past down for generations in her family. She has two kids, ages 5 & 7. Single mom. She wore a grey tank top that she had written on with sharpie. The front read: "Have any ?'s I used to live here." The back read: "I used to live here. Thank you for your help. & signed her name." That was the first clue that I was in the right spot. This lady.. bless her heart had a house that had nothing at all left of it. She began to give directions of where things went: "Make 3 piles please. Wood, Metal, and Valuables." The girls got trashbags, and went to work immediately picking up broken picture frames and things that were inside the house. The boys began breaking limbs off the tree that was smashed over the top. Within 10 minutes, the tree was for the most part removed.. and in a burn pile. As we kept picking up things, you could tell where each room was. I found a remote, and picture frames.. assuming where the living room would be. & then found honey, spices, can goods, pots, pans... the kitchen. The boys carried out the shower and tub.. the bathroom. & as I kept looking around me, I wondered.. if this was me, how would I handle this? It would be soo hard for me. Everything I had ever owned, destroyed. Very little was able to keep. I would have to start over, completely. What about my two kids? Where will we live? How will I pay for meals? I got the chance to talk to the lady, and she told me her story about they left the house 5 min. before the storm hit.. and luckily no one was hurt. All she cared about was her kids. She was so thankful for the people that had donated things like clothes, and such for them. She made me realize that even though everything you've ever invested in your life are gone.. and being burned.. life will be okay because the things you NEED are being provided. With that, they can live. Maybe not how they want, but it'll do. After about an hour of debris clean up and lots of trash bags full.. we got all the volunteers that came with us around the siding of this trailer that had detached from the main part. We counted to three, and all muscles were put into it.. as we all lifted this 25 ft long trailer side and flipped it onto the base of the house where it would later be burned everyone encouraged to lift harder. The siding hit the ground flipped over, and cheers and some high fives were given for the accomplishment. The owner of the house couldn't stop saying thank you. We stayed for a little longer, and said our good-byes...sorry's.. and we are praying for you's...and moved on to the next stop.

I for sure wasn't ready for what was next. We pulled up to this yard on the other side of the pond.. that was completely trashed (as were the rest) , and trees down everywhere. The people that were working here, were a nice family from Greenbrier. The grandparent's of this family lived at this residence. The grandfather was a guy that hoarded tools. Everywhere you looked there was some kind of tool and copper. At this house... the instructions were simple. Load all the wood and trash in the trailers.. and all tools go the tarp. It was extremely muddy, and we even had a kid who slipped and his foot fell into a hole where a tree had been dug out.. and he was knee deep in that stuff. The family had two high school boys working, and of course.. I made a conversation. lol Whats new, right? The one I talked to most.. was in the same grade as me, we knew some of the same people, and was a huge razorback fan. Imagine that. lol I kinda hit the subject of making sure his grandparents were okay.. hoping he might give me the details of what their experience was. At that time, the guy's dad walked up. The guy continued with our conversation, and said.. yes, my grandparents are fine. My grandmother was in her truck over there, and those four trees fell all around her.. almost protecting her from all the other things. But she was stuck in her truck for almost two hours until the rescue team got her out. His dad took over the story pointing my attention across the pond. He said as for the people that lived right there.. its a different story. He hesitated, and said see that in the pond right there? (it was an eighteen wheeler trailer/pod storage thing) I said, yes sir.. he said, well those people decided to take cover in that thing right before tornado blasted through this area. When it did, it picked it up.. and flipped it in the air a couple times then landed in the pond upside down. Unfortunately, they couldn't swim fast enough from underneath it.. and drowned. Two of them. At that point, my eyes were fighting the tears. The pond that looked to be the only pleasant thing in the area turned grey too. He said, and the guy that lived across the street there was I guess out watching the storm? & it came faster than he expected, and the debris and things hit him, and he was found dead in the road. I didn't know what to think but sadness. 3 lives, taken. Within 25 yards of where I was standing. I swallowed hard, and said I'm so sorry.. but am thankful that everyone in your family is okay. Thinking in the back of my mind about those families who just lost a member. How terribly hard that would be. My thoughts were interupted by our sponsor telling us to load the bus.. its time for lunch. I got myself together, and finished throwing some wood into the trailer. Said good-byes.. and they were just so kind and thankful for us. It was hard leaving there because my mind was still wrapped around the facts I was just given. I good friend of mind put his arm around me and said, "You okay?" I said "Ya, I just didn't prepare myself for that." & he said, "Me either.. but I'm glad I came because for me, its realizing that materilistic things don't matter. Its the people your around. Sometimes all you have is each other. For these people, thats all they have."


After lunch, my parents came to pick me up so I could get back to my basketball banquet this evening. I couldn't stop talking about it on the way back home. I got home, and rushed to get dressed up.. and headed to the banquet. I had a major change in atmospheres.. as it went from mud puddles and boots, to an air conditioned building and heels. People began to ask about the trip, and I couldn't help to tell them about the inspiring experience. Many pictures were taken, and a delicious meal was served. Coach got up and talked about the successful season we had.. and presented us with awards. As all of our team was standing at the front looking their best.. I thought, I am soo thankful for these girls.. these coaches...facilites.. community..there was a lot that ran through my mind that I was thankful for at that moment. I thank God for allowing our town to be safe, and giving us the opportunity and chance to help those that weren't safe from the storm. I can't help but maybe ask why? Why did they get hit really hard God, & not us? It just doesn't seem fair. I can't answer that question to be honest, but its hard going from trying to see someone live off of nothing... to coming home and being someone that has everything there to live off of.

Today has been exciting, hard, and depressing yet I'm very very thankful I had the opportunity of living this day. If I had the opportunity of living today over and doing it a different way, I wouldn't change one single thing about it. Today has just blown my mind, and given me time to think about my life.. and maybe what I should be doing to help others that are in need in all seriousness. Am I really seeking to help those who live day by day worrying about what TODAY consist of, instead of tomorrow? Or have I ever thought about in life, sometimes the only thing you REALLY NEED is each other. The things you gain from each other is greater than anything you can buy. & the greatest of these is LOVE.

If your reading this, please realize that sometimes.. all people need is YOU being there for them. God can use you whether its getting a group to go the relief in Vilonia, or helping buy your neighbors groceries... you can be there and show love for them because WE as brothers and sisters in Christ, should know we have each other when the storm stirs.

"Don't ever worry and say, 'What are we going to eat?' or 'What are we going to drink?' or 'What are we going to wear?' Everyone is concerned about these things, and your heavenly Father certainly knows you need all of them." --Matthew 6:31-32

           Here are a few pictures from the day:

This is the first house we stopped at.

This is the area where 3 people died. If you look hard enough, you'll see the pond. I took these from the bus so thats why it may be hard to see how many things from the house were everywhere.

This is a shot of the valley we were in. That isn't the pond I was talking about though.

As you can see, that house is done for. The trees that have demolished it.

Some of my amazing friends that kept my positive spirits alive today!
 
Picture from the basketball banquet. Love these girls.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Allie. I just saw your blog.. Happy reading yours. May God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete